During these times, it can be difficult for us to stay in peace. The other day someone sent me a text message of news that shook me to the core. To be honest it brought some fear into my spirit. Immediately I begun to panic and fear took over me. The news at the moment surrounding Covid 19 is not the best. In fact, watching the news about the amount of persons who are infected has caused a considerable amount of anxiety. Well that morning, I became a victim to fear. The thing about God is that He allows us to go through our bouts of fear and then the still quiet voice of the Holy Spirit draws us back in to calm down. After a 20 minute panic, I stopped in my tracks.
In Warrior Women's Ministry, the theme for this month has been about overcoming fear. How could I be speaking about this and yet be attacked by the same fear? I knew I needed to seek God in prayer and ask for His peace to cover me. In that moment God began to remind me of His promises over my life. In these moments, I find ways to be still in God's presence so I can clearly hear His directions and intentions for this season. One thing for sure is that the stand still we are in as a world, has yielded more time for me to experience the stillness that God requires of us in the midst of Chaos. This stillness is the only thing that brings, peace and assurance. Stillness in these moments is what enables us to hear the deep things that God wants to reveal to His children.
If I could offer up ways that I have been maintaining this stillness. I would sum it up in the points below:
1. Prayer Walks: Every morning I wake up, with a bible verse and I take a walk. During my walk, I talk to God. I listen to uplifting songs and I decree the verse over my life. For now the verse I have been speaking over my life is : 2 Timothy 1:7. I have ensured that the verse is written across my heart and I trust God for a sound mind in this season.
2. Writing: Writing is an outlet for me in this season. I do a lot of writing which has helped me journal my thoughts and document what is happening on a daily basis. I have also found writing to be therapeutic, because spending time in God's presence means a lot of words get released by the Father.
3.Watching news for 5 minutes: I have been intentional about not indulging in too much of the news as news reports of Covid-19 have been overwhelming . My strategy has been to read the highlights of news for the day.
4.Listening to Music : Worship music and old christian hymns have kept me through these times. I particularly play them throughout the day and also at night if I have trouble sleeping.
5. Switch off from non essential messages and emails: I ensure that I only respond to urgent emails, and take my time to respond to others.
6 Creative Projects: One of the things I have been doing is working on creative projects that God has been laying on my spirit. I find that though I am working remotely, fueling some of my energy into creative work is helping me cope with the times. So whether it's an article, a newsletter activation, a new business idea etc. these have been helping me.
7. Face Time Family members: I love my extended family especially my cousins. We don't get to see each other much but in this season we have been intentional about calling each other, scheduling face time dates and just catching up. I didn't realize how much I needed this until we started doing them.
8. Clean up digitally and offline: From little things that include clearing out my emails, fixing areas in our home, "spring cleaning" has been helping me clear my mind.
These tips have truly been my coping mechanisms. So when people ask me how I am fairing along the are some of the things I have been doing. For those who are home, enjoy time with your families. For those who are working as essential staff please know you are in my deep prayers and thoughts. Wherever you find yourself in this season, take time out of your day to just Be still.
I think it's very important to think of this question in the work that we do in the social impact and entrepreneurship space. I have been pondering on this question a lot, particularly as we just finished celebrating International Women's Day. It can be so easy to boast of what we are doing versus really thinking of the impact we are making. One of the reasons I have shied away from IWD for years is this. I feel there is so much noise on this day, and little impact. I think it is important to celebrate our achievements as women and girls but for me it has always gone beyond this. Perhaps because I feel my work is 365 days of the year and most importantly my work with women and girls is ministry.
So lately I have been thinking more about how am I stewarding the gifts that God has blessed me with to bless women and girls? There's a beautiful story in the bible about a woman with an Alabaster Jar that pours out her perfume on the feet of Jesus and Jesus uses it as an opportunity to teach his disciples about love, faith and forgiveness. This made me reflect on what is in my alabaster jar and how am I blessing others around me?
This month as we celebrated women's day and it was a different for me. I found myself wanting to spend more time with God in prayer and have intimate moments with God on what He has called me to do for women and girls and what truly is God's desire for us. It was important for me to take a step back in order to step forward on this IWD and I was so full in my spirit after doing this self reflecting. I want to serve women and girls at the fullest potential for why I am here on earth. This means staying very true to my God given purpose and call and heeding to the divine vision God has purposed for me life. These things I believe will ultimately help us as we pour into the populations we are called to serve.
So today my question to you is how are you using the gifts, talents, networks, platforms that God has given you to bless others? On my episode of Tea and Peppersoup Podcast this month I share my take on how we should be stewarding our gifts and why this is important. I hope you tune in and I hope you are blessed by it . To listen go here:
Welcome to my lifestyle segment of my brand. Here I will share my writings, heartwork, wisdom and life happenings as it relates to my work.